History of Friendship Fire Department
In 1979, a citizen of the Friendship community lost his home to a fire and we were helpless as a community with no fire protection. The nearest fire department was five miles away with little or no fire fighting capabilities. This was the spark that stimulated the formation of Friendship Fire Department. Below are some newspaper articles and pictures collected over the years.
Above: Newspaper article about the organization
of Friendship Fire Department.
This 1951 GMC was Friendships' first fire truck. Although it was never used, it played a role in inspiring the community and its new fire fighters to organize Friendship Fire Department.
Newspaper article about the donation of a surplus truck from Alabama Forestry.
Pictured here are brush truck 920 and engine 901 which were also donated to the department by the Forestry Commission. Friendship did not have a station at this time so the trucks were kept on Dennis Farms and the department was dispatched by Mr. and Mrs. R. Dennis from their home until 1982.
Units 915, 901 and 920 on Dennis Farms
before we had a Station to call our own.
Newspaper article on the dedication of
Friendship Fire Department, Station 9.
Fire station #9.
It might have been old and yellow but it was clean!
Old Engine 901 at a parade in Tallassee.
Engine 901 and 902 displayed at a Spring Festival held in Friendship. The truck on the left is a 1968 C95 Mack. It was purchased in 1992 from the famous town of Amityville, New York. The one on the right is a 1967 C95 Mack that was purchased in 1985 from Michigan. Both of these trucks are currently owned by another department.